Every Author Needs a Website!
You need a place for readers to find you, to learn about you and your books. A website is your home base. A self-hosted website is absolutely the best, and many can be set up inexpensively. However, if you’re really strapped for funds (and who isn’t?), you can use free blog sites (like Blogger, WordPress.com, Weebly, and others). Just remember that you do not own these free sites. You are at the mercy of changing policies, fads, and their bottom line.
If possible, it also helps to participate in one or more social media sites. These are NOT the same as a website and once again, you are at the mercy of their ever-changing algorithms.
It’s a good idea to evaluate the functionality of your website every year or two. With technology changing daily, sites that worked wonderfully for computer users may be out of date and frustrating now that many people are using tablets and cell phones to access the internet. LibrisPro can help you determine what works and what doesn’t.
Custom vs Customization
A custom website is awesome, and you can get it to do almost anything you want! But. Custom sites require hand-coding from scratch. A simple site can easily hit $3,000 or more. LibrisPro does NOT create custom websites.
Customization is taking existing software, templates (also called themes) and tweaking them to fit your needs. We start with a theme that does most of what you want your site to do, then we change fonts, colors, adjust layouts, add plug-ins, and set up widgets and menus that work within the parameters of the theme.
Let LibrisPro Worry About the Code!
While setting up a basic website and social media account is relatively easy these days, due to themes and templates, it still takes a little work to make your site shine. If you have better things to do than mess with code and figure it all out, let LibrisPro help you establish a professional web presence to fit your personality and needs.
- Website (yourname.com): Self-hosted WordPress websites are highly recommended by LibrisPro. They have great SEO and are easy to use. Installation of a template-based, fully functional website with associated email addresses. Database creation and installation. Your content uploaded to site.
- e-Commerce Sites: If you want to sell items from your website, we can add a WooCommerce plug-in to your WordPress site. Or if you want a stand-alone store, we are familiar with Open Cart.
- Blogger (yourname.blogspot.com): A template-based Blogger blog, customized and coded to fit your needs. Two or three columns. Background design and matching header. Modified coding to give more control over design options and to color match elements to background and header.
- WordPress (yourname.wordpress.com): A template-based WordPress blog, customized to fit your needs. Two or three columns. Background design and matching header. Modified coding to give more control over design options and to color match elements to background and header.
- Social Media: Account setup (if needed) on basic social media sites—Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest. Includes covers/headers and profile images to coordinate with your website or blog.